httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <l...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: New vhosts/index.html - please review
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:52:39 GMT
According to Astrid Keßler:

> 'Virtual Host' should not be translated. It's a proper name, explained
> in the docs and used very often in german.

I see your point, but "virtueller Host" is a well known translation
and IMHO should be used  - at least in some cases -  with preference.
For References that directly refer to the <VirtualHost> directive
it may also be feasible to use "VirtualHost", e.g., for things like
"VirtualHost-Konfiguration" or "VirtualHost-Beispiel".

> You are right, the hyphen in normal cases are wrong, but in this case
> there must be a hyphen (because of concatenating a proper name with
> other words).

A valid alternative is also "Virtual Host-Beispiele", because of
"Virtual Host" being a proper name, but my preference is the variant
with the hyphens.

> > "Tiefergehende Erörterung des Virtual-Hosts-Matchings"
> > I would be happy to see some translation of "matching" here,
> > as this line makes little sense for the first-time reader now.
>
> Hehe, do you have a really good translation? :)

How about: "Beschreibung der Zuweisung von virtuellen Servern"?

just my 0.02 :)

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht              - A clean, neat, and orderly work place
lars@hyperreal.org               - is a sure sign of a sick mind.