httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Virtual host problems (still...)
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 02:52:31 GMT

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Sparky Kopetzky wrote:

> Ok, Joshua... decided to take this off-list to keep the clutter down.

I'm directing this back to the list.  Clutter is not something we usually
worry about ;-)

>     I think I have a grasp of what the Apache documentation says on
> virtual hosts. Now, before I screw things up again, do I comment out the
> early directives in the httpd.conf file relating to DocumentRoot,
> ServerName, Listen, Directory, ServerRoot, or should I leave them
> alone?? That was not mentioned in the v-host docs.

The DocumentRoot and ServerName will be overriden by the ones inside the
VirtualHost, so it doesn't matter whether they are there or not.  The
Listen and ServerRoot directives should remain, since they specify values
for the server as a whole.  The <Directory> sections should also remain.
You can ALSO place <Directory> sections inside the <VirtualHost> sections
if you want to apply something only to that virtual host.

> Since I have Listen setup to my IP address and port 80, that's probably
> why Apache is cranky about mixing * and non-* ports. I would like to
> keep it that way until I get customers who want their own private IP
> address from our Class C list, then setup mixed IP v-hosts..

I don't think that is the reason you are getting that message.  That
message shouldn't have anything to do with the Listen directives.

Try this: "grep VirtualHost httpd.conf" and look at the output.  You
should not see any <VirtualHost> directives specifying an IP address.
They should all be <VirtualHost *>.  Otherwise, you will get the error.

Joshua.