httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Jacek Prucia <jacek.pru...@acn.waw.pl>
Subject Re: common docs infrastructure
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:54:36 GMT
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:08:29 +0100
André Malo <nd@perlig.de> wrote:

> * Jacek Prucia wrote:
>
> > Yes, but moving docs stuff outside main httpd-2.0 tree seems to be easy at
> > least for official releases. There is nifty release script, that does half
> > of the RM work, and it could take care of this (fetching xml's from cvs,
> > translating to html/PDF, moving output file to proper locations inside
> > httpd-2.0 tree). However, fresh httpd-2.0 checkout would have empty
> > docs/manual dir which kinda sucks.
>
> yes and no. For now we decided to put the translated docs into the CVS,
> mostly because the RM cannot control whether the docs stuff is correctly
> translated (different languages). Further a simple cvs checkout is
> sufficient to keep the docs up to date online.

I think we can still do that, however ready-to-use docs wouldn't share the
same cvs module as all that xml crowd.

[...]
> > Yes. But to be honest flood isn't (and won't be in near future) as popular
> > as Apache web server. So I don't suspect there will be pressing need for
> > translation.
>
> Let's design it as it could be.

That is why (among other things) I'm trying to use what you guys have
developed. By using your infrastructure, flood docs can get a lot of nifty
features for free.

[...]
> > httpd-docs/
> >    build.sh
> >    build.cmd
> >    target/
> >       httpd.xml
> >       flood.xml
> >    lib/
> >    style/
> >       common.xsl
> >       httpd.xsl
> >       flood.xsl
> >    httpd-1.3/
> >    httpd-2.0/
> >    flood/
> >    output/
>
> yes, this way would be a possibility (but need some more time to figure it
> out more specific).

I get the feeling, that a smooth transition will require more thinking/work
that just designing new structure. I just wasn't really aware of all the
issues involved. However, there's no rush -- we can discuss this proposal and
move forward where apropriate :)

regards,
Jacek Prucia