httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: FW: ScriptInterpreterSource
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:14:02 GMT
At 03:22 PM 2/18/2003, Justin Luster wrote:

>I wasted about an hour before I realized that I needed the line:
>
>ScriptInterpreterSource registry
>
>in my configuration file.  After that things worked fine.
>Could this line be added to the configuration file commented out?  This sure would be
helpful and useful.

Sorry, but absolutely not.

A side-effect of registry is that the Open verb used if the ExecCGI verb
isn't found.  In conjunction with ScriptAlias, all of your readme.txt or
other .txt files will launch a copy of Notepad and simply waste resources
while generating no response.  This badness makes defaulting to registry
a really bad choice.  If you are an admin aware of the issue, feel free to
turn that feature on.

We might consider enabling ScriptInterpreterSource registry-strict - which
behaves the same as registry, but won't use the Open verb!  It will only
react by invoking the ExecCGI verb, which is really what we want it to do.
With registry-strict, you are assured that .txt won't open notepad unless
you tell it to do so.

Bill