httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: HERE is a Simplified Chinese Manual Transalation Project going on.
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:12:11 GMT
André Malo wrote:
> * kajaa zhang wrote:
 >
> <snip>
>
> ok, let's sort a bit:
>
> - simplified chinese = *.xml.zh-cn and *.html.zh-cn.gb
> - traditional chinese = *.xml.zh and *.html.zh.big5

-1, see below.

> that way? We have _at least_ at xml stage to use different language
> extensions (because they are different translations).
> But IMHO we should be so consistent to overtake the language extension also
> to the resulting html files
 >
> Hmm ... While lookinhg around in the net, I find the differences between
> the "two Chineses" expressed as "zh-cn" and "zh-tw". I think, we should
> stick with it.
> What's your (or other) opinion about that?

Just took also a chinese lesson with Google and I can more or less
verify this.

For example Mozilla defines the language by an ISO 639 two character
code in lower case, plus a “-“ to connect an ISO 3166 code in upper
case: If the font setting make sense to only one language used in a
particular region/country: for example: “zh-TW” for Chinese used in Taiwan.

# “zh-CN”: for document encoded in Simplified Chinese encodings
# “zh-TW”: for document encoded in Traditional Chinese encodings