httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Justin Luster" <jus...@sawtoothsoftware.com>
Subject RE: FW: ScriptInterpreterSource
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:19:02 GMT
I'm not suggesting that you make it the default I'm just saying that you
include it in the httpd.conf as

# Note: this might be needed to find Perl on Windows machines.
# ScriptInterpreterSource registry

or something like that.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 2:14 PM
To: docs@httpd.apache.org
Cc: docs@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: FW: ScriptInterpreterSource

At 03:22 PM 2/18/2003, Justin Luster wrote:

>I wasted about an hour before I realized that I needed the line:
>
>ScriptInterpreterSource registry
>
>in my configuration file.  After that things worked fine.
>Could this line be added to the configuration file commented out?  This
sure would be helpful and useful.

Sorry, but absolutely not.

A side-effect of registry is that the Open verb used if the ExecCGI verb
isn't found.  In conjunction with ScriptAlias, all of your readme.txt or

other .txt files will launch a copy of Notepad and simply waste
resources
while generating no response.  This badness makes defaulting to registry
a really bad choice.  If you are an admin aware of the issue, feel free
turn that feature on.

We might consider enabling ScriptInterpreterSource registry-strict -
which
behaves the same as registry, but won't use the Open verb!  It will only
react by invoking the ExecCGI verb, which is really what we want it to
do.
With registry-strict, you are assured that .txt won't open notepad
unless
you tell it to do so.

Bill