httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: german translation of core.xml
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:01:21 GMT
* Erik Abele wrote:

> I like the "X-Direktive" way, it's just easier to realize while scanning the doc.

+1 for the same reason.

>>>What is this supposed to mean?
>>>I thought the directive as about rejecting requests, not about
>>>rejecting the setting of the PATH_INFO value.

yes. The orignal states:

| The core handler for normal files defaults to rejecting PATH_INFO.

I think, it should be changed to "... to rejecting PATH_INFO requests.".

> I think Michael just meant "...weist Zugriffe mittels PATH_INFO
> standardmäßig zurück" instead of only "...weist PATH_INFO standardmäßig
> zurück", right?

"PATH_INFO-Zugriffe" seems to be better (for me).

[.htaccess]
> This bugged me for years, but it seems there is no better way to name these
> files :-) A change of the current docs would be immense I think, and what
> should they be called? Perhaps a 'decentralized configuration file'?
> ehhh...urghh.

the official term is "distributed configuration file". Sounds cool in
English, but that's all. At least since it's so widely spread already, I
think we should stick with ".htaccess file" and learn to be happy with it
;-)

[Michael wrote:]

>>>Do we actually know about browsers that don't provide a password
>>>dialog but still support authentication?
>>>On the other hand, I have seen a browser that will display the
>>>dialog but not show the AuthName (Opera 3.5, fortunately very old
>>>now).

IMHO that's not relevant at all. We'll never know all browsers so "most" is
the best term one could choose.

>>>I would use "Verzeichnispfad", as this one is about the name of
>>>the directory, not about its actual content etc.
>>
>> I have difficulties to see why "Verzeichnis" could be understood as
>> "Verzeichnisinhalt". When I think of a directory, I'm thinking of its name
>> not its content.

> I would prefer "Verzeichnispfad" too. Not because "Verzeichnis" could be
> misleading as Michael stated, just because it is easier to understand. Why
> to complicate it when everybody knows "Verzeichnispfad" and other terms
> _could_ be misleading?

Well, "Verzeichnispfad" is 100 pc. correct, but I'm stumbling over it every
time I read it. +/-0 on any term here ;-)

> And three other things:
      ^^^^^
*bg*

>   - <snip>
>   - "Zugangsinformationen"
>     I would prefer just "Anweisungen" or better "Angaben"

Suggestion:
"Konfigurationsanweisungen" (backport to original: configuration
directives)

>   - "voll qualifizierter Pfad"
>     I would propose "absolut". I knew about fully qualified domain names
>     but I don't know any fully qualified paths, they are just absolute.
>     Hmmm, but I see the englisch version isn't much better :-(
>     Perhaps we should change this too? Thoughts?

+1 at least on "absolut". Is "absolute path" normally used in English
(dunno)?

>   - <snip>
>   - (NameVirtualHost-Direktive)
>     "geben Sie die IP-Adresse an, an der der Server Anfragen"
>     -> "..., auf der der Server..." ?

not sure here. If you consider the IP address as an _interface_ and the
httpd sitting on one side, it's "an". However, "auf" maybe better readable.

nd
--
Flhacs wird im Usenet grundsätzlich alsfhc geschrieben. Schreibt man
lafhsc nicht slfach, so ist das schlichtweg hclafs. Hingegen darf man