httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: HERE is a Simplified Chinese Manual Transalation Project going on.
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:04:50 GMT
* kajaa zhang wrote:

> I think it's necessary to clarify the differences between the Simplified and
> the Traditional Chinese. At least, they are NOT different Chinese dialects
> as you know, the differences is so significant that could make the two be
> different languages as Japan to Korean.

<snip>

Thanks for the explanation. I was unsure. In the meantime I've done some
homework. Well, the difference may be not as much as between Japanese and
Korean ;-), but anyway sufficient for a separate translation.

>> - the xml files are named by language not by charset, so it would be
>> foo.xml.zh (?)
>> - the html files go similar. The charset extension for non-iso-8859-1
>> documents comes after the language extension for better negotiation, i.e.
>> foo.html.zh.gb2312
>
> OK, we will fix it.

hmm, adjusting my statement: the correct language tag would be zh-cn,
right?
(traditional would be zh-tw or zh-hk - are there actual differences between
taiwan traditional and honkong traditional?)

>> - the <!-- English Revision --> notes the CVS revision number of the
>> particular english original document, so it can't be 2.0
>
> All "<!-- English revision: 2.0 -->" are already removed.

> I added this line refering to the Japanese translation, althought I don't
> know what it is indeed, that is in Chinese, drawing a tiger refering to a
> cat, :)

Oh. They _are_ useful. The docs are not static. Noting the original CVS
revision number at translation time will help you to track the changes and
keep the translation in sync.

> Yes, the documents do need review, and we have managed more than 90 peoples
> for review and bug report while translating. May it help you!

yep, I think it's clear now. I've done a first CVS checkout from your site.
If nobody beats me before and there are no objections, I'll try to
integrate it into our CVS next time (read: 1-2 weeks).

Thanks anyway for the contribution!

nd
--
Wenn nur Ingenieure mit Diplom programmieren würden, hätten wir
wahrscheinlich weniger schlechte Software.