httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: apachehelp.org
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 01:46:55 GMT
On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> Sorry again still sort of new at this
> 1. no this is not a commercial venture this is just something I thought that
> was needed
> 2. This will be differnt because it will be a central place to go for
> infomation were people can just look up a easyer how to then haveing to go
> though a manual or ask a question on the email list
> 3. im just trying to make apache a little bit easyer for the basic user
> thats my whole goal

This is a very good goal. It's the goal that I've had for the last
several years as a member of the documentation effort. We'd be delighted
to have this effort turned towards the official documentation, rather
than a parallel site, if you could see this as a valuable way to spend
your time. There's an ongoing effort to write howto-type documents,
which go in the /howto/ folder in the documentation
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/) and there are already a few
docs in there in that style. We really do intend to gear the
documentation to the basic user - at least, I do - while having it also
cater to the advanced user by providing the gory details when
appropriate.

I don't want at all to disparage your effort. I tend to believe that we
can't have too much documentation. But I would like to respectfully
encourage you to redirect some of your effort towards the official docs,
at least insofar as telling us where and how they fail to meet the
objectives that you have set for your site, so that we can attempt to
rectify those shortcomings.

Thanks.

--
Rich - rbowen@apache.org