httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: PDF transforms (was: PDF transforms, was Re: Stop shipping XML)
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:10:13 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, André Malo wrote:
>
>>Whohoo!
>>ok, I think the current stuff is now applicable (but requires some further
>>work :)
>>You can get an impression at <http://test.perlig.de/manual/>.
>>
>>All of our XML source files got a PDF pendant _optimized for print_.
>
> This is very nice.  BUT, I think the biggest gain from PDF (and what most
> users want) comes from having one big PDF file with the entire
> documentation.  There is probably a way to do that by assembling the
> smaller ones with another program.

We can easily do that with our current build system. We will just need to render all the single
XML docs into one big XML doc. Then we can transform this one doc into FOP and then into PDF.
Probably we can use sitemap.xml plus an easy XSL to wrap all the single docs into the big
one. The transformation into FOP/PDF should be similar to the current transformation of the
single docs, except for an index of contents and the linkage in the big file plus some other
nice features...?

Andre, sorry for my delay, I haven't forgotten this one :-) I'm just out of time as always,
but i promise to get at it at the weekend!

cheers,
erik