httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: clickable language selection
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:17:03 GMT
* Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> i get an appreciable number of messages from people wondering
> why they're being presented with the documentation in a different
> language than english.  naturally this is because of their browser
> settings, but it really *would* be nice to have a way of clicking
> on a link on each docco page to change the 'default' language.
>
> unfortunately, i don't see any way to do this without a) making
> all the docco pages dynamic or b) losing the advantages of
> negociation for those pages which aren't yet translated to
> the chosen language.

ok, just increased priority (for me:) further. I have a possible solution,
that needs some rework, but let's see:

Long time ago I've build a kind of "Forced Content Negotiation". Main goal:
documents are negotiated until the user changes the language. That is done
by putting the language into the url path then and forcing the response to
be in that language (using mod_rewrite).

This was built for apache 1.3 in conclusion with SSI, but SSI is here not
needed, since we are using relative links, so including the language into
the path is not a problem. The documents may stay statically.

...Do we have mod_rewrite running on daedalus?

nd
--
print "Just Another Perl Hacker";

# André Malo, <http://www.perlig.de/> #