httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Stop shipping XML
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:42:20 GMT
Someone recommended, a while back, that we stop shipping the XML
documentation source with the distribution. I cannot find that message,
and I don't know where the discussion ended up going with that.

It just occurred to me, in the shower, where so many of my epiphanies
happen, that I am strenuously opposed to this idea, for two reasons.

One, in a largely philosophical sense, it's part of the source, and
should be shipped with the product.

But, the real reason is that we want to do everything possible to
encourage the power users to submit patches, and sending them the
"compiled" version, as it were, will discourage this, particularly since
these HTML files contain nasty messages to anyone who would care to try
to provide us with patches.

This file is generated from xml source: DO NOT EDIT

Hardly condusive to folks contributing fixes.

Just thought I'd pipe up and get that on the record. I'm opposed to such
a change.

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings