httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: TransferLog in ssl.conf
Date Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:51:58 GMT
On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Astrid Kessler wrote:
>
> > > Would anyone object if I change the "TransferLog" directive in ssl.conf
> > > to a CustomLog directive?
> >
> > +1 to change this.
> >
> > I'm  also wondering why we do not mark the TransferLog directive as
> > deprecated and remove them in a later release 2.2 or 2.4 or so. In my eyes
> > it's only a short form of CustomLog which is easy to use but not really
> > neccessary and may confuse the user. Or do I miss something?
> >

> I agree, but this was discussed and rejected before 2.0 was released.
> Some smart people (Marc Slemko and some others) believe that forcing
> people to use complex directives in place of simple ones is a bad idea.
> My opinion is that CustomLog isn't more complex, it's just more verbose.

This line of reasoning is completely beside the point. TransferLog uses
"the most recently specified LogFormat", which, in a default
configuration file, is

LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

meaning that, in a default installation, you end up with the SSL Log
file logging just the user agent.

Now, the fact that this is not happening - ie, that the log file is
happening in common log format, rather than agent log format - means
that either the TransferLog documentation is incorrect, or that there's
a bug. I suppose that clearing up that particular confusion would go a
long way towards deciding what to do with the configuration file.

And, besides, if we're going for simplicity, what's up with:

CustomLog /usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_request_log \
"%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org