httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Stop shipping XML
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:20:06 GMT
Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:08:09PM +0100, Erik Abele wrote:
>
>>André Malo wrote:
>>
>>>at this point (sorry for mixing discussions):
>>>We should drop html-only docs. For automation processes it's neccessary to
>>>have xml sources for every file.
>>
>>+1 on dropping them completely, but up to now we have them around ;-(
>>

> I really hope you mean convert them instead of dropping them. IMHO it is
> totally bogus to throw away good information just because the format
> isn't up to date. If it bothers you, then convert the darn things ;)

no sorry, stop...perhaps this was misleading: in no way I wanted to drop the documents/the
content. I just wanted to express that they are *not* converted to xml up to now and that
we should do this ASAP. sorry, my fault!

> I don't particularly like what happened to the faq, but I would be very
> much opposed to dropping the tons of useful info that is in the SSL docs.

oh my god, no, that wasn't intended by my last mail :-)

> Oh, and while I'm busy disagreeing with people, I might as well add that
> jost converting docs to xml and just outputting sorted lists isn't
> always a good idea - take f.ex. the mod_rewrite page, sorting the list
> of directives leaves the most important and most often used directive
> (RewriteRule) at the end of the file, making it the last thing you see.

Okay, thats another question: I agree, that 'outputting sorted lists isn't always a good idea',
but I have no idea how to improve it.

Perhaps a different color for very important directives or a little image (exclamation mark?)
or improving the xml-system to selectively break out of the sorted list. Hmm, I don't know,
but if you have any ideas...