httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Stop shipping XML
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:08:09 GMT
André Malo wrote:
> * Erik Abele wrote:
>
>>for the online site I think we could use nagoya (has a sufficient JVM AFAIK)
>>to build the docs, and then copy them over to daedalus. but that's only one
>>point.
>
> yes. But I recall, that we introduced the different language targets to
> make sure, that the transformation is correct. So at least one
> representative of every language would need access rights on nagoya and
> daedalus.
>
> (Sorry, don't want to be so destructive, really...)

no problem, IMO such a solution would be too complex to be handy enough for the RM, the committers
and root :-) Perhaps I haven't stated my opinion clearly enough: -1 on this from me too.

>>>However, we could use separate directories for xml and html, like the
>>>httpd-site does. I would support that.
>>
>>this sounds much better to me. Perhaps we should brainstorm some possible
>>solutions for this. I would like to see some layout in the following form:
>>

>>| - build
>>| - docs-html
>>  | - developer
>>  + - other html-only files
>

> at this point (sorry for mixing discussions):
> We should drop html-only docs. For automation processes it's neccessary to
> have xml sources for every file.

+1 on dropping them completely, but up to now we have them around ;-(

> For example, I'm currently working on PDF for print using fop (will
> introduce them today evening or tomorrow, whenever it gets ready). The html
> files are not parseable by the processor and therefore get no pdf.

Great, I was working on this two months ago but than I ran totally out of time. Do you plan
to generate one big pdf document which contains all the xml sources or several pdf docs?

> I'd like more a source tree and a result tree (xdocs and docs on
> httpd-site). So all variants of a resource coexist in the same directory.
> This is much easier to manage and more intuitive, I think.

I think it depends on the viewpoint, but all this should be discussable.

>>| - share
>>  | - images
>>  + - style
>>  or (my favourite, if it wouldn't be too hard):
>>  | - css
>>  | - dtd
>>  | - img
>>  + - xsl
>

> So the images and css would appear in the result tree while dtds, xsl and
> other helper files would appear in the source tree.
>
> Seems all discussable ;-)

yes indeed :) We should wait for some other opinions and then we will see which track to follow,
but all this should have the target to make things easier and more manageable...

cheers,
erik