httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Stop shipping XML
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:55:46 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:
> Someone recommended, a while back, that we stop shipping the XML
> documentation source with the distribution. I cannot find that message,
> and I don't know where the discussion ended up going with that.
>
> It just occurred to me, in the shower, where so many of my epiphanies
> happen, that I am strenuously opposed to this idea, for two reasons.
>
> One, in a largely philosophical sense, it's part of the source, and
> should be shipped with the product.

Definitely! Perhaps we could kill the xml sources for binary releases but I wouldn't like
to see them vanishing in the source releases (for the reasons below). IMO nobody should be
forced to additionally get the xml sources from cvs, just to come up with a patch.

> But, the real reason is that we want to do everything possible to
> encourage the power users to submit patches, and sending them the
> "compiled" version, as it were, will discourage this, particularly since
> these HTML files contain nasty messages to anyone who would care to try
> to provide us with patches.
>
> This file is generated from xml source: DO NOT EDIT
>
> Hardly condusive to folks contributing fixes.
>
> Just thought I'd pipe up and get that on the record. I'm opposed to such
> a change.

+1, i'm also against such a change.

cheers,
erik