httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style common.dtd
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:55:11 GMT
André Malo wrote:
> * Erik Abele wrote:
>>André Malo wrote:
>

>>><!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 SYSTEM "w3c/xhtml-lat1.ent">
>>

>>No, we can use the Ant <xmlcatalog> type to catch the online references
>>and use the local copies for the build process; just look at build.xml...
>

> ok, I see. But, if we'd use the relative reference as above, we don't
> *need* the xmlcatalog for the transformation process. In that case this
> would keep the build.xml simpler, since we would use it only for
> validation. The <xmlcatalog> would also be shortened, since there only the
> xhtml dtds had to be referenced (just for the validation process - they
> could be moved into the validate-xhtml target then.)
>
> Or am I wrong here?

Okay, you're partially right :-) There is another, not so obvious
advantage with this: if we consider direct usage of the XML docs in the
future and forget about the ridiculous Mozilla bug, we don't need to
distribute the entity and DTD files (.ent/.dtd) later on, since they are
referenced with their PUBLIC identifier. We just 'fake' the online
references while building the XHTML files so there is no need to fetch
these files on every build. This is just for our convenience ;-) The
online XML docs are still referenced to the (always up-to-date)
resources, as they should IMO.

Well, since we're not using the XML docs directly up to now this is not
very important, but later on it can save resources...