httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: [Review] mod_dav.xml split (Revision)
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:08:43 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Yes, making the logs directory writable by non-root is NOT an option.
> That is why I suggested the touch/chown technique.  But I guess creating a
> separate directory is a better idea.  There is some discussion of this
> here: http://www.webdav.org/mod_dav/install.html
>
> What other apache things needs need write access under the httpd user?
> There is CacheRoot and ScriptLog; are there others?
>
> Perhaps we should, at least in the documentation, start talking about a
> /usr/local/apache2/var/ directory that is httpd writable.  We could then
> refer to this directory under DavLock and CacheRoot docs and in the
> security docs.

+1 for 'var'.
I think it's more comfortable (not even better...) for a user, simply to
have a writeable directory, rather then do an inital touch. Introducing an
"official" separate directory for such cases will hopefully prevent at
least some users from a 'chown wwwrun logs' or something.

well, this would affect (...scanning directive quickreference...):
(including proposals)

CacheRoot var/cache
CoreDumpDirectory var
DavLockDB var/DavLock

RewriteLock var/rewrite.lock
  (runs in child init, i.e. after the setuid call)
---
a developer should probably verify that ;-)

nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }