httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: German error messages
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:29:46 GMT
* Erik Abele wrote:

> I would suggest "Authentisierung" but we (the german speakers) had a
> discussion about that some time ago and didn't come to a satisfiable
> solution. hmmm, perhaps the time has come?
>
> Babelfish, Google, LEO and the Duden say "Authentisierung" is proper
> German and I will commit it now; it's definetely better than
> "Authentikation".
>
> If someone feels better with "Authentifizierung" or comes up with some
> other words (e.g. "Beglaubigung") than we can discuss this another time,
> but for now this should be fine.

As I found out in the meantime... the problem goes a bit deeper ;-(

The user supplies his credentials, that is "Authentisierung".
The server verifies the credentials, that is actually "Authentifizierung".
The server decides, whether the user has access or not, that is
"Autorisierung" (without 'h', please remove that there...).

*sigh*

However, I'm +1 for "Authentisierung". because something like

"Authentisierung erforderlich, der Server konnte Sie nicht
authentifizieren; Sie werden nicht autorisiert, auf die Ressource blah..."

is probably more confusing than it helps.

nd
--
my @japh = (sub{q~Just~},sub{q~Another~},sub{q~Perl~},sub{q~Hacker~});
my $japh = q[sub japh { }]; print join       #########################