httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Search on docs page?
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:40:00 GMT

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > I missed when the search thingy got put on the top of the /docs-2.0/
> > page. Can we either update the data that is getting searched, or remove
> > that? Searching for vhost, for example, gives a bunch of 1.3 docs, which
> > is rather unintuitive for someone on the 2.0 documentation site. Is
> > there any chance that we can just do a google search, limited to a
> > certain URL-space? Seems that we'd get more meaningful results.
>
> +1 to using google (yes, they let you do that)

I'm in favor of that as well.  There is one little issue:  If we just
throw up a form on the page that does a restricted google search, google
will serve adds on the results pages.  If we don't care about that, then
fine.  If we do care, then we could contact google to see if they would
remove them for us.

(Another issue is that google only updates its index once a month or so,
while the apache.org search engine is updated more frequently.  But the
improved quality of results is probably worth it.)

Joshua.