httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: [Review] mod_dav.xml split (Revision)
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:50:53 GMT

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, André Malo wrote:
> The problem is: "normal" logfiles are usually opened as root, so in fact
> *nobody* needs write access to the logs directory. Actually one should
> create a separate directory for runtime lo[g|ck]s, like DavLock,
> RewriteLog, ScriptLog (?). Or is this too paranoid?

Yes, making the logs directory writable by non-root is NOT an option.
That is why I suggested the touch/chown technique.  But I guess creating a
separate directory is a better idea.  There is some discussion of this

What other apache things needs need write access under the httpd user?
There is CacheRoot and ScriptLog; are there others?

Perhaps we should, at least in the documentation, start talking about a
/usr/local/apache2/var/ directory that is httpd writable.  We could then
refer to this directory under DavLock and CacheRoot docs and in the
security docs.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message