httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject expanding the bread-crumbs
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:41:22 GMT
Attached is a patch to allow individual xml documents to add another level
to the breadcrumb links at the top of the page using the <parentdocument
href="...">...</parentdocument> tag.  It also maps this document to the
"back" link.

Some weaknesses of this approach:

1. It allows only a single extra level of breadcrumbs.  Nesting is not
supported.

2. It requires a direct link to the .html file, so if we ever change file
extensions or go with xml/html negotiation it will need to be changed in
each file.

3. It ignores the directory structure and requires explicit links in the
xml file.  (Actually, I consider this an advantage more than a weakness.
The directory structure does not necessarily map very well to the content
structure.)

All of the above problems could be fixed at the expense of added
complexity.  But I'm a huge fan of simplicity, and I think this works
"well enough".

Comments/Suggestions?

Joshua.