httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Vhosts, common problems
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:03:24 GMT
The problem that I'm trying to solve is that people seem to have an
inordinate amount of difficulty with virtual hosts, even though they are
copiously and exhaustively documented.

While I'm reluctant to add yet another doc into the vhost directory, it
occurred to me at some ungodly hour of this morning, that it might be
useful to have a "solving common problems" doc in the vhost docs, where
we could address some of the most frequently encountered problems with
vhosts. Yeah, this is kinda just like a FAQ, and I suppose it would be
structured as one.

It would contain stuff like:

"Can't mix * and non-* vhosts" or whatever that error message is.
Getting the first-listed vhost instead of the one I expected
Getting the same vhost for all requests (probably same as previous one)
Can't get to my "default" or "main" server any more.

This doc would be closely related to the examples doc, and they would
need to be careful not to overlap one another.

On the other hand, if I could just figure out what it is that makes
vhosts so darned difficult for people, maybe we could fix that. But I
suspect it has something to do with their unwillingness to actually read
docs, so this may just be aggravating that situation. *sigh*

Thoughts, anyone?

--
Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.