httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Yoshiki Hayashi <yosh...@xemacs.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.xml.ja fd-limits.html.ja.jis
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:06:42 GMT
Hiroaki KAWAI <hawk@bcl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

> The two are different in binary level, but 'visually' the two are the
> same in Japanese, too. It would do no harm. It's OK.
>
> # It's a matter of iso-2022-jp encoding, I think,
> # isn't it, Yoshiki? ;-)

Yes, the former version had bogus escape sequences like ESC
( B ESC $ B which just doesn't mean anything.  I forgot the
details of iso 2022 encoding and its terminologies but what
it does is like: from now on, treat byte sequences as
US-ASCII ("ESC ( B") or JIS X 0208 ("ESC $ B").  The version
Erik committed does not contain those sequences and is
better.

I don't know why that happens, though.  We use same jars so
my Java VM (1.3.1) might be too old to do better encoding.

We can change output encoding to euc-jp if that suits better
for others.  I don't know any www browser that can handle
iso-2022-jp and cannot handle euc-jp.  I chose iso-2022-jp
only because the other Japanese files used that encoding.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi