httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style common.dtd
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:25:39 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> See, for example,
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssl-howto.html
>
> It happens pretty-much whenever a <pre> is included in a <table> or
> other fixed-width block.  We don't do that frequently in the httpd
> docs at the moment (due to the fancy css), but who knows in the
> future.

I wouldn't say unreadable (= unusable for me), but ok...

>>>One alternative solution is to invent an <indent> tag for those
>>>things to replace the &nbsp;.

after some reflecting and heavy discussion (thanks kess ;), I think we
should really stick with your idea:

the usage would be, for example:

<example>
  &lt;VirtualHost foo&gt;
  <indent>
    ServerName bar<br />
    DocumentRoot /path<br />
    &lt;Files "mypaths.shtml"&gt;<br />
    <indent>
      Options +Includes<br />
      SetOutputFilter INCLUDES<br />
      AcceptPathInfo on<br />
    </indent>
    &lt;/Files&gt;<br />
    ErrorLog another/path<br />
    # ...<br />
  </indent>
  &lt;/VirtualHost&gt;
</example>

and result in:

  &lt;VirtualHost foo&gt;
    ServerName bar<br />
    DocumentRoot /path<br />
    &lt;Files "mypaths.shtml"&gt;<br />
      Options +Includes<br />
      SetOutputFilter INCLUDES<br />
      AcceptPathInfo on<br />
    &lt;/Files&gt;<br />
    ErrorLog another/path<br />
    # ...<br />
  &lt;/VirtualHost&gt;

with a CSS of:

  span.indent {padding-left: 1em; display: block;}

additionally we may consider to use a CSS similiar to the "<pre> effect"

  div.example > p > code {white-space: nowrap;}

which doesn't preserves the whitespace, but only the linebreaks.
I'm at the moment really unsure about ;-)

Two side notes:
  - MSIE doesn't wrap at whitespace with the latter CSS, but at other
    chars, e.g. "-".
  - multiple <br />s are not necessarily displayed as multiple line
    breaks.

nd
--
If God intended people to be naked, they would be born that way.
  -- Oscar Wilde