httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style common.dtd
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 01:57:09 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2002 nd@apache.org wrote:
>>   - remove   from c&p examples, because:
>>     - if you want preformatted text, use <pre>
>>     - they may lead to invisible errors (\xA0 = &nbsp;
>>       is not recognized by the config parser as whitespace)

> I'm not a big fan of this last part.  <pre> does not really fit in
> well with xml.  It has no symantics and it violates the separation of
> content and presentation.

yes, a bit...

> In addition, it can really mess up the presentation of
> content when space is constrained in the browser.  In some setups, in
> can cause entire pages to be unreadable.

huh? Do you have an example for such a case?

> One alternative solution is to invent an <indent> tag for those things
> to replace the &nbsp;.

which does violate the separation the same way ;-)

you mean:
<example>
&lt;Directory foo&gt;<br />
<indent>
something<br />
something else<br />
</indent>
&lt;/Directory&gt;
</example>

?
What would be the desired html/css result?
something like:

&lt;Directory foo&gt;<br />
something<br />
something else<br />
&lt;/Directory&gt;

?

hmm. If <pre> (or the CSS pendant) is not used the browser may break the
lines anywhere a whitespace occurs. This may confuse people. And I
think, code example *are* preformatted text ("semantically") - one
config line cannot be wrapped anywhere a WS occurs without preparation
(\). I know, it's not a real semantic thing, but...

nd
--
s  s^saaaaaoaaaoaaaaooooaaoaaaomaaaa  a  alataa  aaoat  a  a
a maoaa a laoata  a  oia a o  a m a  o  alaoooat aaool aaoaa