httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Authentication in 2.0
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:23:28 GMT
On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Yes Rich, it's an issue, and it was one of the 'big' drivers in my pushing
> to begin preparation of a stable 2.2 release.  [When we say 'stable', we
> are even talking about module API stability.]  The Auth changes get
> a little harry for the upgrader's existing httpd.conf, at least for a sub
> version point-bump.

Thanks for the summary. I have read most of the discussion on the dev@
mailing list, and can see where folks are coming from on both sides.

However, I think I tend to come down on whatever side will cause the
users less pain. Right now, the docs on the web site are out of sync
with everyone's reality. The module docs don't work with what they have
installed, and the auth tutorial won't work with what they install when
2.0.44 comes out.

What I'd like to see immediately is the docs on the web site roll back
to a point where people can actually use them for what they have
installed. What's up there is just awful. But I'm not quite sure what
the procedure is to accomplish that. Can someone with more cvs-fu than I
give some pointers as to what should be done.

In the medium term, assuming that the code that is currently committed
is what we're going to live with (I can't quite decipher how the
discussion finished up. It does not seem like there was a real
decision) we need to make sure that people running older versions (no,
you can't force people to upgrade) have functioning documentation. Yes,
we can strongly encourage upgrades. That's fine, and what we should be
doing. But if someone is running 2.0.43, they are going to be deeply
baffled when they try to set up Basic auth. Heck, *I* am confused, and
I'm giving a talk about it at ApacheCon.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun