httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Authentication in 2.0
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:33:38 GMT
I know I've been a little out of it for the last little bit. I'm finding
some things that seem a little undesired on the
httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0 site, in particular regarding authentication.
There are a number of docs on there that refer to auth changes in
2.0.44, which is confusing some folks, since 2.0.44 is not released yet,
and they are still trying to struggle along with 2.0.43 or earlier.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_auth.html is a 404, and it's
not clear what folks should do upon encountering that particular
problem.

Now, I apologize if this has come up before, and been resolved to
everyone's satisfaction, but if a module goes away in a particular
version (even assuming that version has been released!) shouldn't there
be some period during which there's some kind of place holder telling
people what that functionality has been replaced with?

It seems to me that mod_auth's functionality has been replaced with
several other modules - mod_auth_basic, mod_authz_groupfile,
mod_authn_file - and apart from having to redo the auth tutorial
document, this means some added confusion for the users, and I'd like to
minimize their frustration as they transition to the new way of thinking
about things. And, of course, I have to redo my ApacheCon presentation,
also. *sigh*.

Thoughts?

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go