httpd-docs mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 03:55:20 GMT
On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> rbb@apache.org wrote:
> >
> > In all of these cases, there was a developer or three, who created a CVS
> > tree either in their home directories, or in the main CVS area.  They made
> > the major changes that they wanted to see made, and then they announced
> > the changes to the list, and invited people to help them make the projects
> > better.
> >

> Except for the fact that in all the above cases, the branch being "deviated"
> from was a solid, robust and reliable codebase. It was *time* to start
> a new branch, knowing that the current codebase was, at a very deep
> level, very robust and "baked".
>
> Is 2.0?
>
> *That* is my only concern regarding a 2.1 branch. It leaves 2.0 in
> a not-quite-there state. It's the idea that 2.0 is "dropped" so work
> can progress on 2.1.
>
> PS: I don't see this as another Shambhala situation, by the way.

I am less concerned about *if* we should do a 2.1 branch, and more
concerned with *how* it is being done.  In the message above, I don't
think you are advocating a 2.1 branch.  It sounds like you believe that
we should take the time to finish 2.0 before moving on.  Am I right in
interpreting it that way?

Ryan