httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style common.dtd
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 01:31:05 GMT

On 3 Oct 2002 nd@apache.org wrote:

> nd          2002/10/02 17:53:48
>
>   Modified:    docs/manual/mod core.html.en core.xml quickreference.html.en
>                docs/manual/style common.dtd
>   Log:
>   ok, starting this: turn bogus <em> to <var>
>   also:
>   - several markup improvements (I hope)
>   - remove &nbsp; from c&p examples, because:
>     - if you want preformatted text, use <pre>
>     - they may lead to invisible errors (\xA0 = &nbsp;
>       is not recognized by the config parser as whitespace)

I'm not a big fan of this last part.  <pre> does not really fit in well
with xml.  It has no symantics and it violates the separation of content
and presentation.  In addition, it can really mess up the presentation of
content when space is constrained in the browser.  In some setups, in can
cause entire pages to be unreadable.

One alternative solution is to invent an <indent> tag for those things to
replace the &nbsp;.

Joshua.