httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:03:18 GMT
At 05:30 AM 10/14/2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> >
>> > Branch 2.1 now?  Only if we want to release the auth changes with all of
>> > the upgrade issues of deprecating several released module.  It doesn't matter
>> > that "only the names have changed", this is called deprecating a module,
>> > and it shouldn't happen within a GA release cycle on the same minor version.
>> >

>> But we've done it before... IIRC the referer logging module for example.
>
>i wasn't allowed to deprecate mod_log_referer and mod_log_agent until
>mod_log_config was able to  provide equivalent functionality.

I think everyone believes that the auth reorganization now handles all
of the original functionality of the older auth generation.  So that shouldn't
be a concern.

Old Timers, what was the impact of deprecating mod_log_referer and
mod_log_agent mid-release within the 1.3 stream?  How would you
classify the hardship on the group (in terms of support) and on the
upgraders?  (Within the same version, as I am not concerned with the
usual hassles of a 1.2->1.3 sort of upgrade.)

>what bothers me about this whole mess is that i don't understand
>how other projects manage to have two active streams, stable and
>development.  i haven't participated in any that did, so how they
>accomplish it without all the backward/forward porting pain we always
>have mystifies me.  we really need to come up with a set of guidelines
>and methodology for this stuff, since we keep repeating the same
>discussion again and again and again.

For example, Jakarta (an ASF project), which at any given time has
work progressing on the 'next generation' (now Tomcat 5.0), the current
generation (now Tomcat 4.1?)  And occasionally patching the older
generations (such as Tomcat 4.0 and 3.2 final releases.)

Bill