httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:51:39 GMT
At 05:35 PM 10/13/2002, rbb@apache.org wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> So we have a radical change.  I proposed we create 2.1 to incorporate auth.
>
>I've read them all.  We discussed this before the patch was incorporated
>into the release.  The majority do NOT believe it is radical enough to
>warrant 2.1.  No matter how many times you ask for 2.1 for the auth work,
>the majority don't believe it warrants it.

And not one member of that majority has been willing to tackle the issue
of supporting 2.0 with this change going into this revision.

Sure it was discussed, voted upon even.  Until we look squarely at the consequences of this
transition, we were voting on the spirit of the changes.
For example, the rename from mod_access to mod_authn_host mid-reversion
is gratuitous.  It just made more sense.  I'm very concerned that we won't
have the flexibility to rearrange this further, by trying to prevent user
confusion.  Of course, the few loud voices clearly aren't concerned about
the confusion factor in the first place, so I suppose such concerns won't halt
progress going forward.

>> >Please finally go back and read the messages where people have explained
>> >why they don't want to branch.  Also, as for the auth stuff, you seem to
>> >have completely ignored that Greg has offered a solution that might create
>> >backwards compat for the users with the new auth work.
>>
>> Greg's post does not address the Docs issue.  I'm waiting for someone
>> to offer constructive feedback.  As I wrote in my response to Justin, I did
>> try to wrap my brain around documenting both pre and post auth in the
>> same /docs-2.0/ tree.  It didn't make any sense.  Perhaps someone else
>> can do better.
>
>I will write the docs to handle both.  I commit to having them done by the
>end of the week.

Don't be too stubborn to surrender after you start, though, if it isn't
going the way you would like  :-)

Without any sarcasm, thank you for attacking this, and I'm looking forward
to reading them.

Bill