httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2002 04:34:05 GMT
At 11:21 PM 10/11/2002, rbb@apache.org wrote:

>I am so sick of this conversation.  2.0 isn't done yet.  It won't be done
>until it is actually stable, and it isn't currently stable.

Fine.  That's no reason to deprecate modules mid-stream.  Was it a good
choice to rename mod_access to mod_auth_host?  Well, I suppose it
makes much more sense, from our view.  But from a common sense
administrators view, that's OS Coders fsking around with naming for
the sake of changing the names.  And it does them no practical good.

>But, you have worn me down.  Create a new fscking tree, populate it and
>begin working on it.  I will be finishing 2.0.

My analogy was bad.  Let me rephrase.

1.3 is mixed, baked and now cooling down.
2.0 is mixed, still baking and won't cool down for a while.

I'm asking that we move Justin's changes to 2.1 and start mixing
the danged thing already.

And let that not stop anyone from fixing bugs!!!  When the right fix is a straightforward
change to some borked code, apply it to both trees at once.

If the right fix is to redesign the server, axe a module, or whatever, then lets
do that in a 2.1 tree.

>And yes, this is very harshly worded.  We have had this conversation
>multiple times, and everytime, the same people want to branch, and the
>same people want to stabilize the server.  If you can't deal with taking
>the time to stabilize the server, then branch the tree.  But, do not even
>think of saying that the MMN of 2.0 can't change just because you have
>created a new tree.

Of course the httpd project will always have cross purposes by the coders
and other contributors.  Everyone here has itches to scratch.  That's GOOD!

If we didn't, this project would be dead long ago.

I'm asking for Justin''s revamp to come out of 2.0.  I'm suggesting it go
immediately into a new tree.  If that is reasonable to people, please say so.
If I'm being unreasonable, please point that out.

I'm suggesting that Justin's change doesn't stabilize the tree.  You want
us all rowing with you in the same direction.  That isn't open source
development within the Apache framework.  That's "Joes' Project" on
sourceforge, or the Linux model.  It's not the Apache way.

So rather than argue, let's provide the tree for folks to explore their new
efforts.  Won't be in anyone's way.  In fact, it will improve the stability
of the GA branch, which is something I believe ALL of us desire.

Bill