httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: a little bit illogical
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:19:58 GMT
Ilia Soldis wrote:
> There is a following text in the file install.xml in the section
> "Customize":
>
>     Have a look at the Apache manual under <a
>     href="./">docs/manual/</a> or <a
>
> href="http://httpd.apache.org/docs/">http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/</
> <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/</>a>
>     for a complete reference of available <a
>     href="mod/directives.html">configuration directives</a>.</p>
> It forms the sentence "Have a look at the Apache manual under
> docs/manual or http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ for a complete
> reference of available configuration directives."
> Link for a "complete reference of available configuration directives" is
> given as <a href="mod/directives.html">configuration directives</a>.
> So why do we have other two links above which even don't point to the
> proper document?

I think this is just right. for example, when you install Apache for
your first time, you will look into the documentation that comes with
your distribution. thus we should point the user to the online doco,
which is the most recent version available...well, I agree the links are
redundant, but they make sense.

however, while looking over this i realized that the link incorrectly
points to /docs/ instead of /docs-2.0/

-> <a
href="http://httpd.apache.org/docs/">http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/</a>

I will fix this asap.
Also i will add a note to make the above more clearer:

"Have a look at the Apache manual under docs/manual or consult
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ for the most recent
version and a complete reference of available configuration
directives."

cheers,
erik