httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:30:09 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >
> > Branch 2.1 now?  Only if we want to release the auth changes with all of
> > the upgrade issues of deprecating several released module.  It doesn't matter
> > that "only the names have changed", this is called deprecating a module,
> > and it shouldn't happen within a GA release cycle on the same minor version.
> >

> But we've done it before... IIRC the referer logging module for example.

i wasn't allowed to deprecate mod_log_referer and mod_log_agent until
mod_log_config was able to  provide equivalent functionality.

what bothers me about this whole mess is that i don't understand
how other projects manage to have two active streams, stable and
development.  i haven't participated in any that did, so how they
accomplish it without all the backward/forward porting pain we always
have mystifies me.  we really need to come up with a set of guidelines
and methodology for this stuff, since we keep repeating the same
discussion again and again and again.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"