httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style common.dtd
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:34:42 GMT
André Malo wrote:

>>In addition, it can really mess up the presentation of
>>content when space is constrained in the browser.  In some setups, in
>>can cause entire pages to be unreadable.
>

> huh? Do you have an example for such a case?

See, for example,
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssl-howto.html

It happens pretty-much whenever a <pre> is included in a <table> or
other fixed-width block.  We don't do that frequently in the httpd docs
at the moment (due to the fancy css), but who knows in the future.

>>One alternative solution is to invent an <indent> tag for those things
>>to replace the &nbsp;.
>

> which does violate the separation the same way ;-)

I wouldn't say in the same way.  I would say in a much more specific way.

> hmm. If <pre> (or the CSS pendant) is not used the browser may break the
> lines anywhere a whitespace occurs. This may confuse people. And I
> think, code example *are* preformatted text ("semantically") - one
> config line cannot be wrapped anywhere a WS occurs without preparation
> (\). I know, it's not a real semantic thing, but...

This is true.  I can't say I have a perfect answer.

Joshua.