httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:32:57 GMT
--On Friday, October 11, 2002 10:59 PM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> I'm calling for a consensus opinion that the mod_auth changes
> are simply too radical to introduce into a current version.  We keep
> treating the GA tree as a development branch.  Many newcomers
> (with less than a couple of years here in httpd land) and a very
> few  old timers persist in doing so.

We had a vote before the changes were checked in.  I don't know what
else you'd like to have done.  It was the stated consensus of the
group that these changes go into 2.0 not a 2.1 - knowing full well
that it could break directive compatibility.  So, I think the notion
that some rule was violated is absurd - I believe everything was done
in the mystical 'Apache way.'

The one thing that I dislike about a 2.1 is that we've stated that we
can't force any developer to go to the new version.  Other committers
have stated that they won't develop or forward-port fixes to 2.1.
And, some developers might not back-port fixes from a 2.1 to 2.0.
That's not going to be helpful to our users.

My hope is that when we go to a 2.1, all developers believe it is
time and 2.0 should be closed.  Right now, I don't believe that is
the case.  -- justin