httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_authn_anon.html.en
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:39:25 GMT
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:00:06AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> It has been a tradition in the apache docs to keep "backward
> compatibility" within major versions.  This means that anyone using any
> version of Apache 2.0 should be able to use the docs from the website.
> That is broken by this reorg.

Hmm.  Then, how do you handle mappings of the directives?  If we
keep the old docs, then we have duplicate directives.  I'd be
especially concerned in the directives*.html files.

> One option would be to add back docs for the old modules (mod_auth,
> mod_auth_dbm, etc) with just skeleton contents saying where to look for
> the docs.  Another option would be to just abandon the backward
> compatibility.

I would prefer we do not handle backwards compatibility.

(Much in the same way, we chose to abandon it in the code.)

> Another thing that is needed here is a brief writeup of the "what has
> changed" variety.  This could be added to, or at least linked from, the
> "upgrading_to_2_0 doc.  Justin, is there any way you could supply that?

AFAIK, for the most part, user configurations need not change.  The
only required change is in the handling of the *Authoritative
directives.  If the user relies on that, a simple reading of the
documentation should suffice to resolve that.

I could be wrong in that the change requires more user intervention,
but my current understanding is that it doesn't.  It really needs
feedback and review by others - I committed what I could because
OtherBill was rambling about vetoing the code because I didn't update
the docs.  -- justin