httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Astrid Kessler <k...@kess-net.de>
Subject Re: quick reference
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:51:31 GMT
Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote in news:3D8630AB.5000702@slive.ca:

>> I would instead suggest to combine these work with the directive
>> index. Why having two documents with mainly the same content?
>
> Because the directive index is something that needs to be fast-loading
> and simple since it is used frequently.  The quick reference will have
> much more content, and will really require a large browser window.
> Therefore I believe it makes sense to keep them seperate.  Plus, with
> the xml/xslt, there is no duplication of effort.  An update to a
> module doc will flow automatically into both the index and the quick
> reference.

hm, sure it's no more effort. But not so much more content.
But you are right, a lists loads faster. A table has much more code
overhead and is a layout calculation problem for most browsers. Hm, I
didn't realized that. ... because I'm using my local version of
documentation :-)

For diffenrent documents: +1 to add the description.

Kess