httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: mod_autoindex & DTD issues
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:36:12 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, André Malo wrote:
>> String should be enclosed in double quotes (").
>
> If the parsing for these directives is the standard config parsing
> (and I haven't checked the code to be sure), then you are correct.

They use the standard AP_INIT_ITERATE2 macro, so the quotes around
(single or double) are removed by the config code.

>> We should also mention, that a quote appearing inside the alt-string
>> should (must? has to?) be escaped as HTML
>
> Don't know.  Again, I'd have to check the code.  I also seem to
> remember seeing various kinds of bugs reported regarding the escaping
> or lack-thereof with mod_autoindex.

hmm. IMHO it's a good thing to give the user the possibility of using
entities. If the code escapes non-ascii and special chars [<>&] in
general, the user has no chance to include entities there...

AFAIS the alt texts are not escaped anywhere at the moment.
Since the double quote is a "control character" inside the alt texts,
I'd say the code should escape double quotes (and only them) to &quot;.

[
DON'T try this at home:

AddAlt '" onmouseover="while(true) alert(\'Hi!\');//' *
]

>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html#headername
[...]

> Yes, I've seen this problem elsewhere.  But the only directive that
> causes the problem is Options.  My opinion is that it is not worth
> adding complexity to both the DTD and the xslt for this one case.
> This is particularly true because the docs shouldn't be mangling the
> name of this directive in the first place.  That is a sure way to
> confuse people.
[...]

ah, yes, that's probably true. I'm not so sure that it affects only
"Options". When I meet another of such sentences some day, I'll rewrite
it ;-)

nd
--
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else
use it, and get a new one every six months.  -- Clifford Stoll

                                    (found in ssl_engine_pphrase.c)