httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Qualifications of the Reviewer of Translated Doc
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:25:17 GMT
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Klootz Morse wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I do understand JHKChan's concern about the qualification of the reviewer of
> translated doc. It looks fair to check the quality of job before making it
> publically available.
>
> As far as I understand there is no commit member who can and will check and
> commit my translation to russian. So, now it will be useless to begin
> translation. But I can look to the current improvement process and send my
> comments.

This seems a very unfortunate position, as this would mean that we are
forever limited to the languages that are already spoken/understood by
the current committers, with no opportunity for this group to expand.

So far, we have had very good success with our current method, with very
little making it through the process that was substandard and/or
incorrect. Each time a translation has been submitted, we have been able
to locate someone who was able to verify its correctness. Sure, the
concern is valid, but has thus far not proven to be a problem. It is
very circular reasoning. If we already had someone on "the team" who was
a native speaker of the language in question, surely we would already
have a translation into that language. The goal is to get translations
into languages that we don't already have, which, necessarily, means
that we'll also have to have an outside source of verification.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://kenya.rcbowen.com/