httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: no doc for MaxMemFree or AddOutputFilterByType
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:46:59 GMT

On 13 Sep 2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> "Sander Striker" <striker@apache.org> writes:
>
> > > Does anybody have a short description for MaxMemFree?
> >
> > Sure, I should have documented it in the first place, but hey...
> >
> > MaxMemFree sets the maximum number of free Kbytes that the main
> > allocator is allowed to hold without calling free().  When not
> > set, or set to 0, the threshold will be set to unlimited.
>
> Thanks.  I have a docs patch at
>
>   http://www.apache.org/~trawick/docs-patch
>
> which I expect to eventually commit.  I was a bit alarmed at the scope
> of the changes to the generated html so I intend to get somebody on
> the docs list to review it first (assuming I ever get subscribed :) ).
>
> The patch doesn't update the Japanese version of mpm_common.xml.  I
> started to put in the English description of MaxMemFree as a
> placeholder but I wasn't sure what that sort of havoc that would
> create.

I think, in general, we should let translators worry about non-english
docs.  There are a couple reasons for this: 1) we don't want to mess up
the whole file by opening it in an editor that can't handle the encoding;
and 2) we may eventually have many translations, and we don't want to
place barriers in the way of people trying to update the docs -- I suspect
developers are going to be much less willing to update the docs if they
need to hit 15 or 20 files.

In particular, I suggest that you don't even commit the changes
to non-english docs that may occur when you build.
So why don't you regenerate your patch by doing
cd httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod/
cvs diff *.html.en > docs-patch

Then the diffs will be much more contained.  The other thing that should
be done to cut down on the diffs is to insert some line-breaks in the
process for generating directives.html (and a few other files).  At the
moment, that file is essentially one big line, so the diffs are always
huge.  But there is nothing you can do about that.  It requires a change
to the xsl files.

Joshua.