httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_autoindex & DTD issues
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:32:07 GMT

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, André Malo wrote:
> String should be enclosed in double quotes (").

If the parsing for these directives is the standard config parsing (and I
haven't checked the code to be sure), then you are correct.

> We should also mention, that a quote appearing inside the alt-string
> should (must? has to?) be escaped as HTML

Don't know.  Again, I'd have to check the code.  I also seem to remember
seeing various kinds of bugs reported regarding the escaping or
lack-thereof with mod_autoindex.

> The other issue:
> Please take a look at:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html#headername
>
> inside the div.note beneath the example you'll find the following:
> (taken from the original XML)

>       will be performed if the <code>MultiViews</code> <directive
>       module="core">Option</directive> is enabled.
> [..]
>
> Of course, there's no directive "Option" and the link points to nowhere.
> To keep the semantics I'd like to add another attribute to the directive
> element, which contains the actual directive name, if neccessary, e.g.

> What do you think? Any objections?

Yes, I've seen this problem elsewhere.  But the only directive that causes
the problem is Options.  My opinion is that it is not worth adding
complexity to both the DTD and the xslt for this one case.  This is
particularly true because the docs shouldn't be mangling the name of this
directive in the first place.  That is a sure way to confuse people.  We
should just rewrite the sentence to use the proper directive name, as in
"Content-negotiation will be performed if the Options directive includes
Multiviews" (or something to that effect).

Joshua.