httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Antwort: Re: Suggestion: add revision number to docs
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:47:08 GMT

Hi Justin,

>> This could be done by writing $Revision$ into the file. The CVS will
>> replace it to $Revision: x.y $, where x.y is the revision number. As
>> long as this string exists, revision number will automatically be
>> updated.
>
> I think this is a bad idea.  -0.
> There are much better ways to get the revision of the file - such as
> cvs stat, watching commit logs, etc. - without polluting the original
> file.

I think it depends on what you want to get.

The "$Revision$" method (that I have used myself when I was
using CVS for programming) would automatically insert this
string into everything that is maintained by CVS.
And IIRC, there are other CVS variables, maybe the date of
the last commit operation or something like that.

Imagine you have some XML structure to hold informations about
the version number, author, last modification date, ...
You could let these fields be filled by CVS automatically.
You would no longer have to bother about the last modification
date of the file itself, which wouldn't be usable if the file
has been generated, like the HTML version of the documentation
is being generated from the XML version.

The HTML version of the docs files might have some tags like
or whatever, and all of these might be automatically filled
from the CVS data by using the proper variables.

Even the end users of this HTML documentation files would be
able to see who maintained the docs, when they were changed
the last time and so on - and noone would have to manually
maintain these data. They are already in the CVS repository.

Why not make use of this information at this point as well?
The HTML files are being generated anyway ...

Regards, Michael