httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Antwort: Re: Ready to commit the new docs :-)
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 23:23:09 GMT

Hi Andy,

>> c) We now have some more images in manual/images:
>> down.gif
>> feather.gif
>> left.gif
>> right.gif
>> up.gif
>>
>> These should be converted to PNG too (as all the others).
> the feather.gif may cause a problem, because some browsers don't
> handle the transparency in PNG correctly (e.g. opera)

Opera 5 and Netscape 4 will not be able to handle transparent PNGs
correctly, Opera 6 can handle them. All Internet Explorers I have at
hand will do nicely, like "4.0 in compatibility mode", 5.0 and 6.0.
(I have migrated to PNG only some weeks ago, with about 300 images,
but left some tiny GIFs - all being smaller than 500 bytes - in
this format as they would increase in size when being PNGs.
Large PNGs generally are 10-30% smaller than their GIF equivalent.)

I believe I have read somewhere that Netscape 4 would require the
transparent color to be palette index 0, but I don't have a program
to rearrange palette indexes, so I cannot verify this.

Regards, Michael