httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: links to english originals
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:27:57 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> If we wanted to get really fancy, we could have an xml file for each
> document that listed the available variants.  Then that xml file could
> be used both to generate a typemap for negotiation and to provide the
> translation links in each of the files.  This could be something to do
> in the future, but it is probably too big a hassel for right now, given
> the early stage of most of the translations.

hmm, I think, sitemap.xml is the right place for storing that info.

<page alternate="de ja ru">...</page>

or so. (but doesn't solve the problem...)

> So my suggestion is:
>
> 1. See if we can develop a very short and simple bit of javascript to
> provide this link.  (Essentially just do s/\..*\.html$/\.en\.html/ or
> whatever.)
>
> 2. If not, we can add the extra tag.  It just seems silly to need to
> hard-code the filename into the file.

I've attached a patch for including a JS and a corresponding CSS. This
should work in every browser with JS 1.0 support. A working example is
here:

<http://cvs.apache.org/~nd/manual/upgrading.html.de>

But... I don't like JS ;-)
I actually would prefer a SSI or better a post processing
solution (for example a perl script similiar to expand.pl).

and yes, you're right, hardcoding the filename should be the last
choice.

nd
--
If God intended people to be naked, they would be born that way.
  -- Oscar Wilde