httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Security
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 20:35:14 GMT
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> * Note that new files created may not have the right permissions on them
>
> * May need to correct this with a periodic cron'ed chown/chmod.
>
> * Is there an argument to chmod to make new files have the right
> attributes?

The "sticky bit".

> What I think you would want is to change the default umask of the users
> in question
> 'umask 022' is pretty typical, so probably want something less public.

In general, we have tried to stay away from unix tutorials in the apache
docs.  We need to document Apache, not the operating system.  If we try
to be all things to all people, we will wind up with crappy docs.

Now, if we could find a good general unix-permissions tutorial on the
web, then there would be nothing wrong with providing a strategic link.

Joshua.