httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [TRANSLATION] upgrading.xml - translated into Russian
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:22:28 GMT

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Ilia Soldis wrote:
>
> > I've involved one more person into the translation work. So now all aspects of the
translation are checked. May be I'll link up some other people to this work, but actually
I see no need of this. If you disagree, please, inform me. Previous files will be checked
by the new reviewer in a couple of days and I will resend any of them, if any mistakes are
found.

> > And one more question - should I translate the LICENSE file or should I leave it
in English?

> My *opinion* is that it would be nice to have this in other languages.
> However, it is more important with the LICENSE than with other files
> that it be verified correct, and there may actually be a requirement
> that the ASF board and/or lawyer-type-persons verify its correctness. We
> probably need a response on this from someone a little higher up. What
> have we done with other languages?

Please leave the LICENSE in the -English- language.

If you translate it; then you MUST put something in the translation which
says that it is NOT the license, but just an interpretive note only; and
teh file MUST not be called LICENSE or anything like that. Call it
something like note-about-license.<language>.txt.

But please: always stress that it is not the actual license.

There will only be ONE(1) authoritative and official version of the
license.

As the Apache Software Foundation, the legal entity behind it all, is at
this time incorporated in Delaware, US, that language is English right now.

Now despite the above - you (or your company) may feel that having a
certified translation in a certain language is of value.

In that case; contact your PMC to argue your case. The latter will then
work with the board to get the appropriate legal assistance if it is
deemed worthy the very considerable cost. Hypothetically I could see a
situation where a large company decides they really need such - and is
willing to assist financially.

 Dw
--
Dirk-Willem van Gulik, President of the Apache Software Foundation.