httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: New draft of manual style
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:52:30 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

>> with the help of google I took a crash course in XSLT and tried to
>> complete your work.
>
> Fun, isn't it? ;-)

oh, yes ;-)

I spent several hours to find out that the things I wanted, don't work
with xslt... however, I've learned much by doing that :)

>> * reverted the link colors to the proposed :)
>>   the green and the red, weren't a good choice, imho.
>>   there was too less contrast between them.
>>   (e.g. I have problems with red & green, like about 20% of men)
>
> But now you've chosen red for the <module> entries.  I really like to
> restrict the use of red to things that we want to be important (like
> security warnings).  It is too jarring to see in ordinary text.

hmm, "my" red and green were much more different in contrast, but ok. I
set the module color now to blue (like in the current version)

>> * but, you're right, I removed the underlines of code and module
>> links
>>   for better reading
>
> My problem is that there is too many different link colors and
> actions.
>   I prefer that "hover" trigger only a single, consistent change.  In
> your versions, sometimes hovering adds an underline, and sometimes it
> removes it.  Sometimes it triggers a color change, and sometimes it
> doesn't.  In addition, colors tend to get less forceful when you
> hover.
>   This seems backwards to me.  Hovering should make the link stronger,
> because it gets you closer to the action.

modified the link styles as follows:

* a:link color = a:hover = a:active
* a:hover and a:active are always underlined
* a:visited is less forceful everywhere

this results in:

- no change, if the link is underlined and not visited
- color change, if the link is underlined and not visited
- underline change if the link is not underlined and not visited
- color & underline change if the link is not underlined and visited

better?

> See my previous email question re the semantics of <th>.

the table /head/ is defined by <thead>, table /header cell/ by <th>.
They may appear everywhere a table header cell is needed.

>> * a lot of small issues, thus the xsl produces proper HTML
>>   (e.g. "<example><table>...", used in howto/htaccess.xml)
>
> I don't like the way you handled <example> in the xslt.  Your code
> essentially says "if it is <pre> or <table>, then leave it, otherwise
> wrap it in <p class="example">".

nope. I always put the example into <div class="example">. Your previous
version didn't validate, because you set up:

[ example content ]
</code></div>

if "example content" is a pre or a table, you get a problem. <code> is
an inline element and cannot contain blocklevel elements like <pre> or

So my code produces three variants:

  [ simple text ]
</code></p>

<!-- or -->
<pre>
  [ preformatted text ]
</pre>

<!-- or -->
  [ table ]

This is meant as: an example that contains a paragraph containing code
or an example that contains preformatted text or an example that
contains a table. Maybe we could say: an example that contains
preformatted text containing code.

IMHO, that behavior is correct.

> (If that doesn't make sense, think of <example> as an element like
> contents in xhtml.  They may contain complete paragraphs in <p>, or
> they may contain just some simple bare text  It would not make any
> sense (semantically or otherwise) to wrap the entire contents of a

;-) Blockquote is not a good example.
It is intended to contain block level elements.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd>

In transitional DTD it may contain %flow;, but I'd never recommend the
transitional DTD - especially in our case there's no need for that.

>> Probably we also need some modifications to the DTDs:
>
> Let's address that as a seperate issue.  If you want to look at
> changing that right now, please start a new thread.

ok :) later

nd
--
s  s^saaaaaoaaaoaaaaooooaaoaaaomaaaa  a  alataa  aaoat  a  a
a maoaa a laoata  a  oia a o  a m a  o  alaoooat aaool aaoaa