httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: wacky docs look - take two
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:29:01 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Here's another draft of the wacky new doc style.

I'm a little bit uncomfortable with this late reply, but there's too
less spare time here at the moment :/.

However, here's the suggestion, anncounced several weeks ago. If it's of
some interest, I'll take the time and convert (one of) the pictures
below to full HTML documents.

The designer doesn't speak English very well, so you'll find a
translated summary of his comments below.

we've tried to combine your suggestion with our first ideas.
Currently there are just only pics made by photoshop.

<http://test.perlig.de/apdoc/entw2_3.gif>
<http://test.perlig.de/apdoc/entw2_5.gif>

----------------------

* Generally this outline(s) are more focussed on the content, so
  structure and navigation elements go more discrete

* site navigation is (as now) top positioned, so there's more
  space for the content.
  The sub-structure as suggested seems to be oversized. The reader will
  mostly read (at least) a whole paragraph, so the links to /every/ sub
  sub section will less useful and too complex.

* the link symbols (arrows) are meant as navigation elements only. They
  are not intened for links in normal text

* One section (including subsections) is the part, that generally should
  be overviewed by the reader. For this purpose the border in entw2_3 was
  added. Probably it's a bit oversized.
  The headings of the subsections should not be so obvious. They are
  distractive to the reader.
  For example, if you look at entw2_3 the section heading background is
  colored blue-gray, any subsection headings then may only be bordered
  (like in entw2_5 or so)

* colors:
  the colors are derived from the existent and they are mainly intended
  to reduce the contrast.
  text color: blue1 (like background in existent)
  background heading: blue-gray1 (like text, but more gray)
  -> the text is more colored than the headings thus they don't draw off
     the attention so much
  background table heading: blue-gray2 (more bright as blue-gray1)
  links: blue2 (more a cyan)
         they shall be recognized clearly, but not become flashy
  visited links: currently yellow-gray
         they are just a problem, because they have to be kept in
         context, have to be less strong as normal links and
         nevertheless have to be recognized in normal text.
         Thus it's now this no-color and probably subject to change

* the gifs are only outlines

(design suggested and commented by Gernot Winkler)

nd
--
die (eval q-qq:Just Another Perl Hacker
:-)